Menopause literally means the end of menstruation
and usually occurs between the ages of 40 and 55. It is the final
event of a woman'sreproductive life when her ovaries stop releasing
eggs and the production of oestrogen and progesterone becomes low.
There are a number of symptoms associated with menopause that you
should be aware of. These are:
- Menstrual Cycles become shorter or longer
- Missing periods
- Bleeding becomes lighter or heavier
- Headaches and hot flushes
- Skin eruptions
- Worsening bladder control
- Psychological symptoms such as insomnia, lack of energy, irritability,
anxiety, lack of concentration and poor short-term memory.
Naturally not all women experience the same thing. Although most
women will experience one or all of these symptoms when goingthrough
menopause, some women’s periods will remain regular.
Without treatment menopausal symptoms may last between a few months
to many years. To discuss the treatments available it is worth consulting